Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hey Y'all.
Greetings from Pennsylvania! I have left the Big Apple, and am spending a few days with my friend Ellie who I have not seen in almost two years!! I'll fly back to Olympia on Thursday...so excited!!
I really do apologize for the significant breakage in the timeline of my blog. (I am especially sorry to my sweet Grandpa who, from what I've heard, has tried to be a devoted follower regardless of my frustrating lack of postage.) I think my main problem was finding a way to bridge the gap between my previous frivolity about condiments and a post announcing some of the best news of my life!! But more about that later... This does, however, mean that you must now endure another "catch-up"post, though if you're still reading my blog at this point, you're probably used to it.
Many people have asked, "How do you like living in NYC?" To that, my response is always the same: "It depends on the day." On days full of waking up at 5am, waiting 8 hours to sing for 20 seconds, being semi-lost during inside-out umbrella monsoons, spending more money that I'd like to, loneliness, trying to make arrangements to avoid homelessness, trains not running, and feeling invisible - on those days, I wanted to book my flight home. But on days full of sunshine, delicious food, walks in Central Park, fun auditions and promising callbacks, Musical Mondays, laughing/talking/cuddling with my amazing friends, wonderfully convenient public transit, museums, so many shows (!!!), and endless opportunities at my fingertips - on those days, I wanted to stay forever. I never thought I wanted to live in NYC, I didn't think I had it in me. I've learned that I could definitely do it. I could. I'm just not sure if it's worth it to me. At least not right now. I'm glad to know the possibility exists though.
One thing I will say for myself is: I'm really good at LOOKing like I live in NYC. I will never forget the first time a couple asked me for directions. I felt pretty darn cool. Of course, I'd only bee there about three days at that point and though I answered them with a confident smile, I will never know if I sent them in the right direction. This began to be almost a daily occurrence. And with the exception of the few people who were definitely not speaking English, I think my record was pretty good.
I also developed a really good NYC walk. I figured out that, especially when I was alone, if I didn't look around/point/gasp/take photographs as I walked, people would assume I was not just visiting. I realized that my "I live here" face however, was really scary and mean - which is not something I'm accustomed to. I found, though, that I could combat this intense face by playing inspirational upbeat tunes on my ipod. It's so funny how much it can change your mood. I would always start strutting to the beat - don't deny it - you do it too. Anyway, it helped keep my spirits high.
I was fortunate enough to see 9 shows while I was there!! In chronological order, they were: The Miracle Worker (with Abigail Breslin), Come Fly Away, Rock of Ages, Time Stands Still (with Laura Linney and Alicia Silverstone), A Little Night Music (with Katherine Zeta-Jones and Angela Lansbury), Yank, Sondheim on Sondheim, Next to Normal, and The 39 Steps. While there are too many to talk about individually at this point, though I would be happy to share my feelings about any of them if anyone is interested. Just let me know!
I am so grateful that I had this opportunity. I cannot thank my friends enough for their hospitality, for all the fellowship, for keeping me grounded, for their advice, and for just being so incredible in every single way!!! I'm the luckiest.
Thank you everyone who has supported this adventure in any way, shape, or form. Now - I am so ready to return to Olympia...at least for now.
I love you all,
Carolyn
Ps. I'll be back soon. I swear. We haven't even discussed the engagement... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment